Grand Rapids Study Club

The Grand Rapids Study Club, founded in 1904, was one of the earliest organizations for Black women in Grand Rapids. Also known as the Grand Rapids Study Class, it was affiliated nationally in 1907. In 1926, a Junior Study Club was formed for younger women, renamed the Pierian Club the following year. Both organizations focused on supporting intellectual, spiritual, and artistic pursuits. This digital collection includes yearbooks from both the Study Club and the Pierian Club, a scrapbook, photos, and other ephemera.

View the full collection inventory here.

This collection is available online thanks to support from the Nokomis Endowment Fund of the Grand Rapids Public Library Foundation.

13 Results