George G. Briggs: b. Wayne County, Mich. January 24, 1838--d. Grand Rapids, Mich. December 8, 1912. Began as mercantile clerk in Battle Creek, 1852-55; bookkeeper in Galesburg, Mich. 1856-58. Partner in Averill & Briggs store, 1858-62. Raised Company A, 7th Michigan Cavalry, served from 2nd Lt. to Colonel, 1862-65, in Civil War and Indian Wars. Came to Grand Rapids 1866; married Julia, daughter of John W. Pierce, went into partnership with father-in-law in dry goods firm Pierce & Briggs, 1866-69. State representative, 1869-70. Secretary-treasurer of Michigan Barrel Co. 1870-87. First president of G.R. Board of Trade 1887-90. Postmaster at G.R. 1890-94. Vice-president of National City Bank 1894-98. Was well-known as art connoisseur and collector, an early patron of Mathias Alten. Built house at 143 Lafayette NE in 1909, designed to display his collection. Sources: GRP, Dec. 9, 1912; Baxter, p. 594.
Source:Grand Rapids Public Library photographs collection (Coll. 054)
- Grand Rapids History & Special Collections Department
Part of digital collection:
Grand Rapids Public Library photograph collection