Banner painted by North End Paintshop at the time of Col. Lindberg’s visit to Grand Rapids in 1927—written in black ink on verso of print. The image shows a man (the painter, Garnett G. Sheldon) with a paint palette standing in front of the painted banner that is attached to a building. The banner has a broken circle with the face of Lindbergh & the “Spirit of St. Louis” airplane in the center. The plane has “NX-211 Ryan” on the end of the tail. An early sailing vessel is below the circle left and a Conestoga wagon is below the circle right. “Welcome” is at the top of the banner” “Pioneer Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh” is at the bottom of the banner. “North End Paint Studio” ID tag is at the bottom of the banner cloth.
Source:Morris photograph collection (Coll. 043)
- Grand Rapids History & Special Collections Department
Part of digital collection:
Morris photograph collection