Grand Rapids Savings Bank
“Bank that was robbed twice within four years. Last robbery was this year (1930). Robbers took $10,000. All were caught and received sentence of life imprisonment at Marquette for robbery under arms. One bystander was shot but recovered. Leonard and Turner Branch.” The building is of white brick, with fancy brickwork and two bay windows on the front. Behind the building (right side of photo) is a sign for “Lily White Flour”, above which is a porch with laundry hanging on a line. The bank occupies the corner portion of the building, which also houses a grocery store (Wilburt Ley appears on awning). Three automobiles are parked on the street at the side and in front of the building. There is a traffic light at the intersection, and a fire hydrant on the corner.
Source:Morris photograph collection (Coll. 043)
- Grand Rapids History & Special Collections Department
Part of digital collection:
Morris photograph collection