St. George's Church
St. George's Church

St. George's Church

Photograph

Description
St. George's Church. a Syrian Orthodox Antiochian cathedral, corner of LaGrave Ave. and Goodrich St., dDedicated 1926. Brick church of relatively simple, square style. Wide cement steps with low brick walls at the sides lead to front entrance, which consists of one large arched doorway with smaller arched doorways on each side. Above the doors is a plain arched window, centered between white crosses painted on the brick. Above this is a peaked roof, with decorative brickwork just below the roofline. The two brick towers have ordinary sash windows on the main level, with a high arched window above. The window on the ground level of the left hand tower has been bricked up. There is Arabic writing on the cornerstone of the left-hand pillar. Tree branches in full foliage are hanging down between the photographer and the church. Part of a large wooden residence can be seen to the right.
Dates:
1930 (Created)
Subject Headings (TGM)
File Identifier:
43-1-3.120
Source:
Morris photograph collection (Coll. 043) - Grand Rapids History Center
Rights:
Copyright undetermined

Part of digital collection:
Morris photograph collection
Related place
Grand Rapids (is depicted by)
Related address information
Street address: